Mapping Tool: Store Mapper
The Store Mapper is an interactive mapping website that lets advocates find and display local tobacco retailer data. The Mapper also analyzes and displays relationships between tobacco retail and other important locations such as youth venues (schools, parks, community centers), and between neighborhood variables such as tobacco retailer density and level of household poverty.
Each Store Mapper is customized with main themes:
- Tobacco Retailers displays retailers by location and calculates retailer density by area.
- Youth Access indicates patterns of sales violations and compares violations by proximity to schools or neighborhood demographic variables.
- FDA Checks displays the results of advertising and labeling or youth access compliance checks conducted by the US Food and Drug Administration.
- Map Legend allows for overlay of demographic variables by census tract (average income, racial/ethnic composition, education, families in poverty, LGBT households) and allows users to turn on or off additional map features such as geographic boundaries or locations.
- Policy Tester evaluates the impact of potential POS tobacco control policies to reduce the number and density of retail outlets: pharmacy bans, stores-near-schools-or-parks bans, or retailer proximity restrictions.
- Get a Report generates theme reports for download in PDF, CSV or XLSX format. Reports are available for counties, any visible map area (you zoom and decide), or legislative zones such House or Senate districts.